Sakai for Faculty: Adding Files
How do I add files to my course for students to see?
Adding Course Resources:
You can upload PowerPoints, PDFs, Word documents, and any other file type that you wish to share with your students through Sakai. Here is how to add resources:
- Go to your course site and click on the “Resources” tool in the left hand menu.
- Click on the drop down menu labeled “Actions” and you will get a series of options. You can create folders to better organize the resources for the students. You can also add web links to the folders to share useful web resources, and lastly you can upload files to the folders.
- To upload files to Sakai Resources, click “Upload Files” from the dropdown menu. You can upload one or multiple files by dragging them into the grey box (seen below), or you can click on the grey box to open a file browser and select the files from your computer. When you are done click “Continue” and the files will be stored to the Resources tool for student viewing.
How do I add files to Home/My Workspace Resources so I can share them with several sections of the same course?
How do I copy files from My Resources from one course to another?
Copy Course Materials From an Old Site to a New Site:
If you wish to copy all of your course materials from an old course site to a new course site, follow these steps:
- From the left hand menu on the course site, click “Site Info”.
- On the Site Info page, you will see a series of tabs at the top of the page. Click on the one that says “Import from Site”.
- Now, select “I would like to merge my data”
- Select the old course site that you would like to like to bring materials into the the new site from. Click “Continue”.
5. Check off which tools you would like to import course materials from. NOTE: You cannot import materials from a tool on an old course site if it is not turned on in the new course site. For example, if you wish to copy over the Forums you developed in a past semester, you first need to turn on the “Forums” tool in the new site (See “Turning on Tools and Features in Sakai”).
Copy Specific Course Materials into Resources:
If you only want to migrate a few specific folders/files from one course site to another, follow these instructions:
- In the left hand menu of the course site, click the button that says “Resources”.
- At the bottom of the screen, click the blue link that says “Copy Content from My Other Sites”.
- Select the site you would like to copy resources from.
- Click the checkbox next to the file or folder you wish you copy to the new site, and then click the button that says “Copy”.
- Now, go back to the Resources page for the new course site by using the breadcrumbs menu at the top of the screen.
- You can now paste the copied file into any of the folders by clicking the clipboard icon.